Thursday, August 9, 2012

A crazy pregnancy dream saved me $13!

I've never been one to remember my dreams, but there's something about being pregnant that changed all that.  Some dreams have been ridiculous, most have been boring, but last night I actually had a practical dream.  I was standing on the side of the freeway in the hot Phoenix sun in August with a broken down car and in a panic about dying of dehydration while pregnant.  I woke up all freaked out and concerned that we had forgotten to add roadside assistance to our new car insurance when we switched policies about 7 months ago.  I remembered I paid somewhere around $1.50 per 6 months of roadside assistance and thought it was worth that small amount to have someone to call no matter where I got stranded.

So I finally went in and set up an account to "manage our policy online".  I do this with everything so I have no idea why I put it off so long and didn't really double check our coverage.  Shame on me!  But since we saved over $250 by switching companies I thought I must have given up something I had before.  Not so!  I still had roadside assistance for $1.76 (phew!), but I also had something that we'd be highly unlikely to ever use: rental car coverage!  Since we're a two car family with only one car we use regularly, we can almost always figure out a way to get by if something happened to one of our cars.  We also have a lot of family nearby who regularly use our extra car and would be able to help us out temporarily if something were to happen.  In any case, I saved $13 today by removing a coverage I didn't know I had and don't expect to utilize!

Bonus tip for saving on car insurance: increase your deductibles from $250 or $500 to $1000.  It usually pays for itself over the course of a year in premium reductions, and I'd imagine you aren't likely to get in an accident annually!  But if you're the type not to always have $1000 on hand for emergencies, then this probably isn't a good way to cut back on spending.

No comments:

Post a Comment