Monday, August 6, 2012

Packing Burritos for Lunch

One of the quickest ways to save on everyday expenses is to pack lunch.  Annoying?  Sometimes...but it is fairly easy to do with a little organization.  I like to use Sundays to get organized for the week.  I clip my coupons, check what is on sale, get my grocery list together, shop, and then prepare lunches in advance so I can just grab what I've already prepared on my way out the door.  Finding something that both myself and my husband would agree to eat was somewhat of a challenge, but I finally found something that works very well for both of us.  It also stays fresh all week (despite being pre-made) in the fridge.

Introducing our creation: the lunch burrito!  Prices fluctuate slightly by week, depending what is on sale, but it should end up costing around 95 cents per burrito and tasting much better than those frozen ones that will have you hungry again an hour later.  I will usually make 10 at a time and that lasts us about a week since my husband likes to take 2 for lunch, and we don't eat them everyday.

What you need:
Large tortillas
1 can refried beans
1 can black beans
rice (we use whole grain brown rice)
1 jar salsa (we generally use medium)
1 bag shredded cheese (we like the Mexican blend from our local store)

Heat up the beans according to the instructions on the can.  I use the microwave instructions b/c it's easier and then I'll already have them in tupperware to store any leftovers for the next week.  Then just put it all together (I layer in the ingredients in the order above on the list) and wrap up the burritos in aluminum foil.  Don't forget to bring something to heat them in the microwave with!  I don't want to be responsible for anyone putting foil in the microwave!  Happy lunching.

No comments:

Post a Comment